Suzuki Desert Storm Rally has been flagged off. This year’s rally would see introduction of a truck category, and is christened ENDURE. Four trucks have confirmed participation in the ENDURE category. In its 10th edition, Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm Rally would pass through terrains of Rajasthan and Gujarat.
This year, in addition to regular participants, Maruti Suzuki has also fielded its employee teams for the rally, including a Ladies’ team driving the all new Swift. The rally also has participation by teams from several wings of the Indian armed forces. Maruti Suzuki Desert Storm is being organized in partnership with Northern Motorsport for the 10th year in the running. Northern Motorsport is one of the leading motorsport organisations of India. It organises a series of challenging motorsport events including the Maruti Suzuki Autocross, the Rally of the North, etc.
Some of the highlights of this year’s Desert Storm are:
- 3500 kms
- 6 days
- 9 high speed competitive sections
- Largest-ever participation over 280 participants
- No. of 4-wheelers : 130
- No. of 2-wheelers & Quad-bikes: 16
- 137 cars, 4 trucks, 16 bikes to compete in the rally
- Over 280 participants
- Rally to traverse over 3500 kms through the great Thar Desert, Rann of Kutch, Jaisalmer, Bhuj, Pokran etc.
- For the first time: added all new truck category on international format
- Challenge of Night time Rallying
The rally has also become the launch vehicle for the Mahindra XUV500 in the motorsport arena. The big selling SUV is participating for the first time in a rally event. There are two XUV500s participating in the rally. One is piloted by the very well known Gaurav Gill, who is assisted by Musa Sharif. The other XUv500 is driven by Lohith Urs, navigated by PVS Murthy.
XUV500 Image: Mahindra-XUV500s-in-action”>Overdrive