This was one of the first batch sold in India, and it did have some cosmetic issues such as poor plating, not so good paint job, rattly body panels, etc, but all these have been fixed now and first batch owners have had the “defective “ parts replaced FOC. So, lets get moving with how the thing has behaved since it was bought one year back.
Once the rattles are taken care of, there is no further “music”. The only irritation is the fact that a lot of things need to removed to get access to the internals, but maybe that is Honda’s way of theft proofing things. There was at least one fastener socket which came with a stripped thread (rear right belly pan, fixed under guarantee). A mentioned before, anything with poor plating/paint damage has been replaced. Other small quality issue items – footpeg rubber.
Stock seat is OK for the city, somewhat inadequate for the highway (much too hard) hopeless for broken roads. Padding it is not difficult (easy fix).
ENGINE + DRIVETRAIN
The NO PROBLEM bike. Still on the stock clutch, 1.5L oil every 6000km. It feels much the same after and just before the service. No difference. Does not show any sign of overheating even when run at 115kph+ on a sustained basis. Amazing engine. Lovely, slick box. Topped up coolant once, at 18K km
No vices, but the broad tyres do not like low friction surfaces such as steel drain covers, slush etc.
It’s Rs 750. That only includes washing, a little greasing and setting and chain tightening, apart from changing the oil and oil filter. If your valves need to be set, that is also included. Does not include chain oiling which almost costs ½ can of chain lube. If you are not changing shims and using their synthetic oil, expect the service to set you back somewhere in the tune of2300 bucks. Personally, next time I need to go in for a service, I’ll just do the oil and filter change (using my own oil), as the rest (chain lube + washing) is not a big deal and neither is greasing, and enter it in the service record. Service only when there is valve checking required as then, there is some specialized work involved. Air filter – just 200
Broken mirror (cheap – 400), Head bearings, changed at 18000km, one set of brake pads (fr + rear), after about 15000km. Damaged footpeg rubber – TVS 180 direct fit. Broken indicator – 300 (you have to buy the full assembly). One set tyres.Till date, 4 oil filters and three air filter elements (around 2000). 200 to reconnect a poorly fitted spark plug (courtesy Venetian Honda) out of town, in an emergency. Two chains (one pulsar 220), + one front sprocket (about 2K)
H4 HID 4500K, Extra horns, tank guards, wiring for same + chain oiler. Approx 5000/-. HH sintered brake pads (about 2K), teflon 1/8n brake tube with stainless steel coil on it (2K). 35T rear sprocket (WBS), costing about 2K. However, this throws the odometer reading off by about 8%, that’s why the disparity in actual mileage and odo readings. Seat, about 1K
I’m calling these as issues as there is a difference between issues and problems, one of magnitude. For me the bike has NO problems.
- Availability of parts. Very disappointing in the beginning, still not good. This is still a PROBLEM
- Engine rattle at 5 -6K rpm, at low throttle openings. No explanation. Valve setting reduces it, does not eliminate it.
- OE brakes good, but not great. Huge difference with HH pads and non expanding line.
- Soft front end, excessively so (especially now that the brakes are much better).
- Some very incompetent mechanics, there is still a shortage of trained people. This is a PROBLEM, forces me to ride 30km for a service.
- Side indicators leak, all of them, and fog up in the rains.
- Headlamp had a weird setting, with all bulb filaments positioned away from the focal spot, hence bad beam pattern. I think this is a bike specific problem, have sorted it out.
- El cheapo toolkit. Chuck it away. Med kit only to comply with legislation. Chuck that away too. Buy tools and a proper med kit.
- For touring the tank is too small.
- Poor wind protection unless tucked in. This is not realistic on the highway.
SO, would I recommend the bike?